Gorakhgad is a small fort near Dehri village, Murbad near Thane district. It is believed that the saint, Gorakhnath used to inhabit the caves in the fort to perform penance. This hauntingly beautiful trek a one-day trek that can easily be done from both Mumbai and Pune. It is one of the twin pinnacles, Machindragad and Gorakhgad. The path to the top of the fort plateaus out twice before reaching the cave. The final climb to the pinnacle involves a steep rocky path that leads to a small temple.
The trek offers a perfect getaway for the city dwellers and the pleasant monsoon showers only add to the rich experience. The trail leading to the caves in Gorakhgad is in the form of a winding staircase. It could make you feel like you’ve been transported back to history. From these caves, you can view the Machindragad pinnacle, with the Deccan Plateau looming in the background. Highlights:
- Activities - Trekking, basic rock climbing
- Mahadev temple on the summit
- View of Mighty Machindragad
- Scenic beauty around Gorakhgad
- Smaller caves on top
- Water cisterns
- The sight of penance of saint Gorakhnath.
- Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Tea
- Travelling cost from Mumbai to Gorakghad and return journey
- Complete expertise cost.